This recipe was adapted from Vegetarian Times
- ½ cup unbleached flour
- 7 Tbs. whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar or granulated sugar cane syrup
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 3 Tbs. nut or soymilk plus ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 3 to 4 Tbs. water
- 2 cups canned pumpkin or puréed home-cooked fresh pumpkin (see note)
- 1 cup low-fat soymilk or rice milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar cane syrup or agave
- ¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- ½ Tbs. dark molasses or to taste
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
To make Crust:
1. In medium bowl, combine both flours, salt, sugar, and baking powder. In small bowl, mix oil and soymilk mixture.
2. Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients, and mix with fork until dough holds together in ball. If it is too dry, add some water, a little at a time, until dough is moist enough to roll. (If time allows, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.)
3. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin, forming 11-inch circle. Line 9-inch pie plate with dough. Flute or crimp edges with fingers or fork. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Preheat oven to 425°F.
To make Filling:
5. In large bowl, mix all remaining ingredients until smooth and blended. Pour into prepared crust and smooth top. Bake 10 minutes.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake until filling is set, about 50 minutes. Set on wire rack to cool, then refrigerate overnight. Top with your choice of dessert topping if desired.
NOTE: If you are going to use fresh pumpkin for the pie, do not use the jack-o’-lantern type; the flesh of these large pumpkins is too watery and stringy. Instead, look for small pumpkins, sometimes called pie pumpkins or other varieties of winter squash. To bake, cut pumpkins in half and remove seeds. Set, cut side down, in a lightly oiled baking pan. Bake at 400°F for 30 to 40 minutes. Scoop out the cooked flesh and purée.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Photo: by TheCulinaryGeek